History – Banda Municipal da Ponta do Sol

The Banda Municipal da Ponta do Sol appeared on December 1, 1882, with the support of the Wilbrahan family as patron of this locality.

First the Band was called Filarmónica da Restauração, taking into account its date of creation, and soon after, Philharmonic Prince of d’Ordenburg. This designation (Prince of d’Orderburg) was the form found by the leaders of the Filarmónica da Restauração in order to thank for the monetary contribution given by this prince during his stay in Madeiran land (between 1884 and 1885).

Until February 1944, the designation of the Prince of Ordenburg prevailed, at which time the new statutes were drawn up for this group, and since then it has been designated as the Banda Municipal da Ponta do Sol.

As a consequence of the strong emigration and financial difficulties, in the 50’s Banda was inactive due to the lack of performers. It is in 1984, that the Banda Municipal da Ponta do Sol is reactivated.

One of the highlights of the Banda Municipal da Ponta do Sol was in the 90’s when it toured Curacao, Aruba and Venezuela, being cherished by the Portuguese communities there and praised by the authorities present.
Since 2001, the Banda Municipal da Ponta do Sol has organized the Ponta do Sol Philharmonic Music Festival, held every two years, at the time of the Ponta do Sol Municipal Festivities, with the presence of 2 invited bands, one of Madeira Island and one from outside the region.
The Banda Municipal da Ponta do Sol has made several exchanges, which has allowed the Municipality of Ponta do Sol and the Autonomous Region of Madeira to be represented in different situations and places such as: Abrantes (in 2002), Taveiro (in 2004 ), Azores Archipelago: São Miguel and Terceira Islands (in 2006), Montemor-o-Novo (in 2010), Pragança (in 2012) and A-da-Gorda (in 2014).

Source: Banda Municipal da Ponta do Sol

Start typing and press Enter to search